Tour to Ciénaga de Zapata
The tour to Ciénaga de Zapata has two great attractions, on one hand it is an excellent alternative for the lovers of the tourism of nature due to Zapata’s peninsula is the biggest wetland of the Caribbean declared by UNESCO as a reserve of the biosphere, in addition it has one of the biggest breeding place of crocodiles in the world and it also has a great number of endemic species, being the cuban crocodile the most known. On the other hand in this place was carried out the famous invasion of the Bay of Pigs by the United States, one of the most important events of the history of the island.
Departing from Varadero the journey lasts approximately 1 hour and a half, making a short stop in a place known as “Fiesta Campesina” (“Rural Party”), in which you will be able to enjoy the sugar cane liquor that is not more than the juice that we extract from the sugar cane. Once in the swamp we will visit the Cave of the Fishes, the Museum of the Commandership where Fidel command the cuban troops during the invasion and we will go over the breeding place of crocodiles where if you desire it you can feed the reptiles from a safe distance. Besides you will have the possibility of having lunch in a typical restaurant of the zone. We will finally go in a ship trip toward Guama, an ancient aboriginal town before the arrival of the spanish people, that was turned into a tourist place in spite of being in the deepest part of the swamp.
Tourist Pole of Varadero
The price includes
The price does not include
– Departure from Varadero.
– A beautiful journey to the Ciénaga de Zapata that lasts approximately 1 hour and a half in which you can be witness of one piece of the cuban landscape, some plantations of sugar cane, citrus fruits, and others.
– Visit to the Farm “Fiesta Campesina”, where you can taste a sugar cane juice that is well-known in Cuba as “guarapo”.
– Optional visit to the “Museo de la Comandancia”, that is the place in which the Commandant in Chief Fidel Castro guided the cuban troops during the invasion of Bay of Pigs.
– Optional visit on boat to Guamá (a native village that was brought back to life thanks to the fascinating sculptures of the cuban artist Rita Longa.
– You also can be witness of one of the biggest breeding place of the world.
– Lunch at a local restaurant.
– Visit to Playa Larga which spreads over the Bay of Pigs.
– Visit to the fascinating Fish Cave, a 70 m deep and crystalline water pool. The Cave and the Caribbean Sea are ideal sites for scuba diving and snorkeling.
– Return to the Hotel or Hostel in Varadero.